We exist as a community of Christ followers that desire to live generously inside and out to bring the love of God to the heart of our neighborhood.
In the beginning, only Sunday morning worship services and Sunday school were held, while continuing to meet for youth groups and evening worship service with First Denver Friends. Hackberry Hill Elementary school, 7300 W. 76th Ave.in Arvada was rented for $25.00 per week using the schoolʼs gym, lunchroom and adjoining hallways.
In the summer of 1979, a church building in the Arvada area became available. The building located at 9889 W. 66th Ave. was purchased and services were begun in September of that year.
Why We Exist
As a community of Christ followers we desire to live generously inside and out to bring the love of God to the heart of our neighborhood.
We Value a neighborhood with RENEWED . . .
- A Neighborhood with Renewed PURPOSE – Eph. 3:7 – “of this gospel I was made . . .”
- Our desire is to join God in the renewal of all things, and for us this begins in our lives and neighborhood. It means we get to witness the people closest to us become transformed into passionate followers of Jesus.
- We long for people not just to attend church, but to be the church, creating an alternative culture rooted God’s principles, here in our neighborhoods.
- We recognize that God has placed within each of us gifts, passions, and abilities to build His church and help bring His kingdom of heaven right here on earth.
- A Neighborhood with Renewed GRACE – Eph. 3:7 – “a minister according to the gift of God’s grace.”
- In a harsh and often unforgiving world, we believe the church should always be the place where people can find grace and in turn, give grace. One of our greatest opportunities is seeing the resurrection joy on a person’s face as they move from death to life in Jesus, coming out from under a lifetime of shame to embrace their new identity as a member of God’s own household.
- A Neighborhood with Renewed JOY – Eph. 3:8 – “ . . . given to us to tell of the unsearchable riches of Christ.”
- We have a conviction that the Creator God is at work to heal, renew, and bring joy to our neighborhood. To follow Jesus and join Him in His mission is to become agents of joy to our neighborhoods, industries, and world.
- We are truly a privileged people with resources given to us by God to steward His joy into the lives of others—even though most of us would not consider ourselves to be wealthy, we are committed to stewarding what God has given us for His glory and the joy of others.
- A Neighborhood of Renewed FAMILY – Eph. 3:9 and 14 – that brings “. . . to light for for every family to live according to the riches of His glory.”
- One of the essential metaphors for the church is that of a family. And in a culture that is defined by personal ambition and radical individualism, Neighborhood Friends Church actively desires to live against the trends of our culture by opening our hearts and lives to one another so it can increasingly be said, there are no needy among them.
- A Neighborhood of Renewed WISDOM – Eph. 3:10 – “so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.
- It has been said that the church is the only institution left in society where all of the other spheres of culture overlap. Our church does not exist for itself, but to equip people with a theological vision to join God in his great redemptive work and then send them into the world to do just that.
- From educators to construction workers, nurses to doctors, mechanics to designers, and every trade possible, we believe that with the manifold wisdom of God our careers are more than jobs, they are mission fields of God’s great story of love.
- A Neighborhood with Renewed STRENGTH – Eph. 3:14 – “according to His riches in glory he may grant the neighborhood to be strengthened with power through His Spirit . . .”
- People in this city are known for having passion for the outdoors, for their career, for their start ups, and for their sacred weekends. Few people are passionate about seeing souls find Divine strength. But we have come to know there is a God of love who speaks to the weakest parts of our souls with His Spirit, fills us, and gives us strength to live fully alive in Him.
- A Neighborhood renewed by SACRIFICE – Eph. 3:7 – “of this gospel I was made . . .”
- We believe that the greatest context for a miracle is sacrifice. The good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ is made possible because He was willing to live in our world, move beyond the convenience and glory of His place in the heavenly realm of God, and become one of us.
- God becoming man was a sacrifice that made the miracle of salvation possible for us.
- Jesus, God in the flesh, suffering and dying as a sinless man for us is the greatest sacrifice of all. We are miraculous because of Christ.
- Neighborhood Friends is committed to living beyond convenience, to the point of often great personal sacrifice, to build a loving community centered on Jesus for our neighborhood no matter what it takes.
- Miracles happen here.
- A Neighborhood renewed by PRESENCE – Eph. 3:19 – “to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that we may be filled with all the fullness of God.
- There is no greater miracle than experiencing the real-time Presence of Jesus and the life, peace, freedom and joy that comes when He draws near.
- In all we do, our prayer is that of Moses, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here.”
There are no prerequisites to attend our church. Whether you are a long time follower of Jesus or seeking answers in your life, you belong here. We understand it can be intimidating joining visiting a new church. We try to make the process as comfortable as possible. Perhaps you are looking for a new church or are new to the faith. Perhaps it’s no coincidence that you’ve found our website!
Come worship with us on Sunday or contact us today if you have questions about our community.